Stuart Barden in Kenya

Saturday, October 19, 2013

Planting Sorhum Dry


The short rains should be not far away and so we started planting this week, we planted about half the 650ha although we have to wait until Monday for more fertilizer to be delivered, it was held up at port.
I am planting at 60,000 seeds per ha hoping for about 45,000 established plants per ha. (4.5 per square meter) This equates to around 2.2kg of seed per ha.
The photos show the residue from the previous crop, the profile is full although it has not rained for over 4 months and so the top is dry.
When what is known as the short rains come hopefully in November they are as it says usually short so you really want the crop in the ground.
On Average if there is such a thing as average November receives around 100mm for the month, that could be between 50mm and 200mm. Wait and see.
 

1 comment:

  1. I love this work especially when we visited your farm as student from university of Nairobi...do you mind if I can attach myself with you over my industrial 4th year attachment? I find a lot to learn there which will help our families out there to fight poverty and improve on agribusiness
    Kindly find it easy to spent time there on your farm for my attachment as from April to sept 2015
    any future plans and recommendation on the reply of the above request kind use my private details santosiannoor@gmail.com, santosiankamau@yahoo.com or africanomadsconservation@hotmail.com +254728826448

    ReplyDelete