Stuart Barden in Kenya

Friday, April 5, 2013

Planting Trials (well trying)

Well the trial planting finished as it began, I had just planted a Barley trial and cleaned out the seeder and loaded up some wheat when the heavens opened, since then we have had about 125mm in the past 10 days.
I have some hand planting of small trials that I have limited seed for which I hope to plant early next week if it is dry enough. I was given some different Kenyan developed sorghum's from a NGO that I will trial, one of the varieties I only have 800 seeds of.
I will give them a go and see, also have chickpeas to plant as well in the trials.
We finished planting the commercial sorghum (400ha) only the day before the rain and had flown Primagram on about 5 days before the rain so it should work well. Primigram is a pre emergent herbicide to keep the field clean, we treat the Sorghum planting seed with a seed safener to protect the new plants. The Primagram will also hopefully suppress/control any volunteer sorghum that germinates.  The 400ha is just up and looking good.

No comments:

Post a Comment