Stuart Barden in Kenya

Saturday, March 30, 2013

Finished planting Sorghum

We finished planting the 400ha field of Sorghum late Wed night and then planted a barley trial the following morning, we had just changed over to wheat for some trials when the heavens opened and we had about 10mm of rain. This was mainly good as the whole of the commercial crop had been planted although I still have five or six hours of trials to plant, some paddock scale, one to a few hectares and some hand planted with material given to us by an NGO funded by the Gates foundation. One sorghum variety they gave us was only 800 seeds. I will try and plant them and the other trials today if it is dry enough.
As we are leading into what is called the long rains we have planted on a "solid" configuration of 75cm (30 inch) rows, I have also increased the plant population, I suspect that the temperatures lend themselves to a higher population to that which we have previously planted.
I also used a bit more fert at planting, 60kg of DAP and 25kg of SOP. I am considering flying some nitrogen on as well as I want to plug all the holes in the yield bucket I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment