Stuart Barden in Kenya

Monday, August 25, 2014

Barley harvest complete


We had to pull out the welder a few weeks back, as we deliver barley direct to the malt house in Nairobi we had to build a screen, I could not buy slotted screens and so I went to the industrial area and bought eight 2 meters by 1m 3mm round hole screens, I had a engineering shop weld two sheets end to end and then they rolled them as we do not have the gear to do this. We then built the drive, installed internal spokes and baffles to retard the grain flow and to maximize the screen area that makes contact with the grain, we borrowed the hyd motor off our sprayer and the loading auger off the simplicity air seeder,these both run of the tractor hydraulics.
After a number of modifications it worked well, we are removing about 1 to 2% by weight, the retention (amount of barley above a 2.2mm screen is running at 97 to 98%) which considering the below average rain in crop is good.
We also last week put a aspiration system on which consists of the hyd driver fan off our simplicity air seeder and a snazzy manifold we built that helps the light material to be sucked off as it enters the screen. 

4 comments:

  1. Hi Mate, what a fascinating blog! A good friend of mine, who visited you earlier this year, introduced me to it. My family are farmers in Scotland and I have worked on farms in various places around the world, in fact I once worked for a very good man really near to where you're from in Australia. What you are doing is so interesting - it must be such an amazing adventure - I can see myself doing something similar when I graduate from university here, in London, in May. Keep up the awesome work and I'll look out with keen interest for your future blog posts. Best Wishes, Charlie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Charles,
    So pleased you enjoy the blog, I have been a very poor poster of late although have put some up today.
    Kind Regards
    Stuart

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very well written post. You have shared a wonderful article which is very helpful. Thanks for sharing, have a good day.
    bed bugs control Delhi
    best pest control in Noida

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you very much for this wonderful site well written and informative content you have.
    express visa Canada
    canada federal skilled worker program

    ReplyDelete