Stuart Barden in Kenya

Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Maize Trials

These are the maize trials (planted at 22,500 plants per ha), there are only two varieties of maize planted on the same configuration as the sorghum, double skip on 75cm rows. i.e two planted two not,this gives a 2.25m between the 75cm pairs. (I hope this makes sense). There are also mungbeans (green gram),chickpeas times two (Channa),Red Sorghum and two varieties of white sorghum. So in all there is seven crop types/varieties on two different row configurations i.e double skip and solid 75cm rows.
The trials are 4 runs (9 meters each) of one ha per run, so each trail is 4 ha each.
The small holder research farm is planned to be fenced starting in Aug/Sept, we had to start on the commercial farm first as we had to keep making a dollar (or shilling) to fund it.

2 comments:

  1. The trials will be interesting. What led you to choose sorghum for the main crop? I presume it is the hardiest and gives you the best chance of making a profit. Have the rains now stopped? How much did you get all up and how much do you think is available in the soil profile?
    My folks just got back from a lovely time in Kenya.
    Richard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Richard,

      I chose Sorghum as I felt it was the hardiest crop I had availible.The rains have stopped and I dont expect any rain until November and hope to have harvested the current crop just prior to this.
      The topsoil depth varies a bit from a small area that has only 60cm of black soil and then murrum/gravel to up to 1.4m or so. So with the double skip I hope to grow a reasonable crop (hope for 2t per hectare) on the 1m or deeper soil and will wait and see on the shallower top soil.
      Our plant population is around 30,000 plants per hectare which is fine I think, less than I was aiming at altough with sorghum I would rather less than more. (within reason) Thanks for your comment. Regards Stuart

      Delete