Stuart Barden in Kenya

Friday, June 1, 2012

Planting at Last

Well, it was a happy day. It took a while, although after a long waiting game after around 400mm of rain in around 40 days we have lift off.
I am planting just over 50,000 seeds per ha of white Sorghum, aiming on establishing 40,000 or so, wait and see I guess. It will take about a week as I am just planting it myself while the rest of our team keep the other jobs going. After planting completion of the fence is the next priority.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Stuart,
    Really enjoying reading of your adventures pioneering a new farm in Kenya. I found your blog via a NSW Ag web site and am intrigued by what you are doing. I was born in Kenya and a branch of the family is still farming at Njoro. You will probably come across the Nightingales at some point. I also used to work in Condo (with Landcare) and wondered if you knew that Paul Lukins, who was the Condo district agronomist for many years, is now working with the Mursi people on the Ethiopia/Kenya border. Good to see you are getting lots of rain after some dry seasons in East Africa - you just need a dry spell to actually plant! I am intrigued to hear a little about your business plan - are you share farming or leasing land? It sounds like a big investment needed in fencing and roads.
     
    Regards 

    Richard

     

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to see the crop up and growing - has the rain stopped?

    ReplyDelete